PhD defence by Leonora C. M. Eberhardt
Leonora will defend her PhD thesis "Qualifying Circular Economy in Building Design Practice: Developing Life Cycle Assessment Design Concepts That Support Implementation Of Circular Economy In The Building Sector".
05.03.2021 kl. 09.00 - 13.00
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
Due to the Covid-19 situation, the PhD defence will be carried out via Zoom. Please send an email to Linda Vabbersgaard Andersen no later than 3 March 2021 and you will get an invite for the event and, if requested, a copy of the thesis.
SUMMARY OF THE THESIS
Transitioning building activities to a circular economy is important to reduce the built environment’s pressure on the natural environment. However, environmental design and decision-making tools to support implementation of circular economy in the building sector are lacking. As life cycle assessment is an accepted method for assessing environmental impacts in the building sector the research assesses how life cycle assessment can support the implementation of circular economy in the building sector. The research provides an overview of state-of-the-art circular economy design and construction strategies. It further presents environmental impact profiles of contemporary, prevalent Danish building types and different CE design and construction strategies. Furthermore, the appropriateness of the current life cycle assessment practice is critically evaluated for stimulating circular economy in the building sector. An existing life cycle assessment approach is further developed to closer align it with the circular economy concept. Finally, the research provides environmental design guidelines for designing CE building components.
- Senior Researcher Jesper Ole Jensen, Dept. of the Built Environment , Aalborg University (chairman)
- Prof. Holger Wallbaum, Architecture and Civil Engineering, Building Technology, Sustainable Building Chalmers University of Technology
- Senior specialist/Adjunct Prof. Matti Kuittinen, Ministry of the Environment/Dept. of Architecture, Aalto University
- Supervisor, Senior Researcher Harpa Birgisdottir, Dept. of the Built Environment, Aalborg University
- Co-supervisor, Prof. Morten Birkved, University of Southern Denmark
- Assoc. Prof. Tine Steen Larsen, Dept. of the Built Environment, Aalborg University
- Civil Engineering
09:00: Welcome by Moderator
09:05: Lecture and presentation by PhD student (45 min)
During the break, participants can email questions to the moderator, Tine Steen Larsen.
If such are received, the questioner puts them forward after the assessment committee has finalized their question and answer round
10:00: The assessment committee is asking questions to the work
12:00: End of defence. The assessment committee enters another “room”, evaluates and writes the final assessment
12:30 (approx.): The assessment committee rejoins the “Defence room” and announces its decision
13:00 End of Event
Department of the Built Environment
03.03.2021 kl. 10.00